This nicely sums up the predicament of BJP today. Having set out on ideals which enthralled the whole set of people who attained youth during the period 1989 (Starting with the palampur resolution) till 1999, the compromises made thereafter towards its ideological pursuits neither thrilled those who were enamoured by its ideology nor those who were enamoured by its idealism. There was not only a disillusionment amongst its core followers but also amongst those who though were ideologically opposed but who were favourably disposed on account of its honest articulation. What is the need of the hour?
- Restore credibility on what you stand for. Synthesise ideology with issues of governance.
- Do not discard any of the basic issues forming the core of the ideology.
- Counter media biases by institutional mechanisms.
- There shall be a tireless striving for stretching the Arm towards perfection.
- Know that your USP is being different and not in being perceived different – because perceptions can change when the mask goes off.
- Connecting to people is different from connecting to communities.
- Consensus should be evolved to take decisions and not to postpone decisions.
- Democratic functioning is not an antithesis to discipline.
- Those who ride on the shoulders of the workers, supporters should think that those who carry them are pall bearers and not palanquin bearers.
- There is more to politics than power, there is more to power than elections, there is more to elections than psephology and there is more to psephology than statistics.
Each of these require elaboration and over the weeks, fortnights, months and years these are to be deliberated and discussed thoroughly because the future of BJP is too serious to be left to politicians alone.